Thursday 27 June 2013

A Seris of Short Walks




      This is not a trial of endurance, nor an odyssey of discomfort.
Through every season, I set myself against nature, or an easy course of low level hikes in preparation for days upon the fells.
      For my first excursion, Ambleside to Windermere, may be considered energetic by some, is really a pleasant walk, upon a dry and sunny day. Although, when I set out with a companion, the rain was just beginning to fall. We headed to Low Fold, as a starting point, then up the lane, into Skelghyll Woods and Jenkin's Crag, which offers a reasonable view of Windermere Lake and down to Bowness Bay and beyond.

      We continued upon the track, which is probably the old Roman Road, round to Troutbeck Village, down to the river and over the bridge, then up onto the lower slopes of Orrest Head, finally dropping down to Windermere.
      At the end of which, I was soaked to the skin, it had rained heavily all the way, at one point I had to wade, knee deep, through a trough of cold muddy water, no doubt left by a vengeful farmer.
      The rains promptly stopped as we arrived in Windermere.


No comments:

Post a Comment