Tuesday 11 October 2016

A Torch to Light the Way


      Those dark nights are drawing in once again and already I seem to be getting blinded by other people with torches, cycle lights, and car head lamps, and they all seem reluctant, to dip their lights, if they think you are without some form of light yourself, with which to respond. Until now, I've always been able to just get by, with a small maglite torch, ideal to keep in your pocket, for those times when you need a small useful light, like when you are fumbling with car and house keys, etc.
      I live in a rural area in South Lakeland and decided I might need something a little more substantial, oh sure I've tried all the Maglite range, but they are on the larger side and to be honest, I've got quite a collection of torches, even a couple of those million plus candle lamps, which are very large, and far to bulky to carry about.
      Recently I came across this very compact and powerful "Night Light Torch," with a few extra features. the one I've got is made by a company called "Xtralight" and I paid about fifteen pounds, although it seems to be available in different designs at various prices. But the point is, the basic concept is a winner and for me at least, it appears to be head and shoulders over it's rivals.
      First off it's a LED Nightlight and I keep mine in a upstairs hallway, where it's permanently on a minimal charge, LED's use about 85% less electricity than an ordinary bulb, but a strong light, on at night and automatically off when it's daylight. There's another interesting feature, if you stand the light up, as in the picture, it operates as a reading light holding a three hour charge.
   
      Now this is the good bit, I frequently walk in the early evening or at night, in the back-end of the year and I like to carry this torch with me, it slips easily into my jacket pocket and is very light weight and now when I meet other people at night who are carrying a bright light and for whatever reason, like to shine their lights in my general direction, I now just switch on the xtralight for a few seconds and assure them of my presence. I've had a few cyclists gasp, at the strength of the beam and any car user will quickly "dip" their headlights in response. If you are walking down any dark road or in an unfamiliar area, the torch is quite capable of giving you a colossal expanse of light. 
      The photograph above doesn't do the torch any real justice, the beam is much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment