Wednesday 14 September 2016

Friar's Crag, Derwentwater North Lakes

      On my way back from Cockermouth, heading to the South Lakes, I decided to make a short stopover in Keswick, it's probably the North Lakeland principle town. I used to work here, some few years ago and I still have a number of friends in the area, like to visit the shops and those old familiar haunts. 
      I can still happily recall spending my lunch hours walking by the lake shore, on some of those cold and crisp winter's days. And because of this I decided to make a walk down to Friar's Crag and perhaps re-live some of those happy memories. The route is still very familiar, past the theatre and along the track by the shore, only the numbers of people have soared in recent times.
      But then at last I'm at the view point, it's a nice sunny day and the panorama of lake and fell is staggering, there are quite a few other people here as well and they too, are swept up by the sheer majesty of the place.  
  John Ruskin, is immortalised at Friar's Crag, simply by the erection of the well known monolith and a few well chosen words from his diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment